Thursday, January 3, 2008

Guess What?


Pony butt.
Working simultaneously on color versions of this, One Tough Cookie, and the tiger piece. It's proving to be pretty difficult. I'm pretty effing rusty with color these days. It's frustrating. I need to get a grip. : (
Lately I've been geeking out about different pen & ink artists (and a few engraving/woodcut-type folks as well) that have been faves of mine for a long time, like Charles Robinson, Gustave Dore, Barry Windsor-Smith, Bernie Wrightson, and Charles Vess. One of the things that vexes me about my own work is that I'd like to be good enough at pen & ink that I accept it as my main act, BUT I feel like you have to be a virtuoso (like the aforementioned) to make ink really work for you. I want to look at one of my ink drawings and think, "This is just as good as a painting." So far, not yet.

No comments: